Same Sex Wedding GUIDE in Ireland 2023
Everything You Need to Know About Having the Perfect Same Sex Wedding in Ireland
Are you in the process of planning the perfect same sex wedding in Ireland? Whether it will be an intimate affair or the event of the year, you are in for a whirlwind adventure- and a lot of planning! For every picture-perfect wedding, there is a lot of behind the scenes work. From finding the right wedding photographer to tracking down the right venue, there is one long to-do list for your future. Fortunately, it can be a lot easier than you think.
Working in wedding photography, I’ve seen a lot of magical marriage ceremonies, as well as a few disappointing days. Take it from me, brides and grooms, it’s all in the details.
Ready to turn your romantic dreams into a reality? Here is everything you need to know about having the perfect gay wedding in Ireland.
Why Everyone Is Dreaming of a Same-Sex Wedding in Ireland
Ever since the first same sex wedding in Ireland took place back in 2015, it has been an incredible time to be a wedding photographer in Dublin. People are coming from all over the world to get married in the first country in the world to have achieved same-sex marriage by popular vote!
While coming from abroad to have a same sex wedding in Ireland is a big trend at the minute, Ireland has always been a popular wedding location for its fairy tale castles, breath-taking coastline, and endless emerald rolling hills. Whether you are from Dublin, Dún Laoghaire, or Dallas, the gorgeous wedding venues of Ireland will steal your heart.
Getting Married in Ireland: The Logistics
Before your same-sex wedding in Ireland, there are a few steps that you need to take. First up, it’s important to realise that you have to give three month’s notice before the big day. To do this, both of you will need to go to the Registrar’s Office to do your official “Three Month Notification of Intention to Marry” appointment and paperwork.
Getting this step done might mean taking a day off work or travelling so be ready. Fortunately, the government has a handy checklist of what to bring to your appointment. Check it out HERE and read it carefully.
The Perfect Venue for Your Gay Wedding in Ireland
As a wedding photographer in Ireland, I have seen a lot of gorgeous venues. If you need some inspiration for the ideal place for your same sex wedding in Ireland, check out some of my favourite wedding venues (along with a handy “price per guest” guide so you know what to expect) from Dublin to Limerick to Kildare to Cork, and beyond!
Of course, the right wedding venue for you is a highly personal decision and comes down to the atmosphere you want to create and your personality as a couple. One thing that is universal, however, is that you’ve got to book early!
If you are booking midweek or during the off-peak season (Oct to Nov; Jan to March), you will have a better shot at finding the date you have in mind. It can be very hard to find an available date for a gay wedding in Ireland, anywhere in the country, during weekends at the most popular months of the years. Start calling around ASAP to get your preferred date.
When you are ready to check out potential venues, bring a checklist. The great Irish website One Fab Day has the ultimate list of essential questions to ask before booking a wedding venue.
Dive into Wedding Photography
As a wedding photographer in Dublin, I have had the incredible opportunity to play a small role in creating memories that couples cherish for a lifetime. I know how important wedding photography is, and it is so much more than just a job to me.
Keep in mind that not every wedding photographer in Ireland is right for you. Whether you are looking for a wedding photographer in Dublin, Dundalk, Dingle, or Derry, it’s down to turning every stone to find the right match for you. Working in wedding photography, travelling is the norm so don’t worry too much about finding someone down the street. Focus more on finding a style and personality that is right for you.
Ready to find you perfect wedding photographer in Ireland? Here’s everything you need to know.
Your Must-Have Guide to Wedding Photography
- Find the Right Match: You have already found “The One” and now it’s time to find that wedding photographer in Dublin or beyond that is just right for you. It is easy to find a wedding photographer with a stunning portfolio, but that doesn’t mean they are the right match for you (including yours truly!).
- Decide On Your Style: To help you narrow down your quest for the perfect wedding photographer for you, think about your style. Chat with your partner, look at wedding photography sites and Instagram, then start making notes on what you love. And jot down some things you hate!
- Keep an Open Mind: Forget about just focusing on the same sex wedding in Ireland trend. While there some great photographers who specialise in the “perfect gay wedding in Ireland,” it is more about making that personal and stylistic connection. Likewise, don’t focus too much on finding the greatest wedding photographer in Dublin or whichever city you are based in. Widen your search and look all over the island.
- Don’t Go Amateur: Wedding guests can take splendid shots, but they are no replacement for a professional wedding photographer. You can never redo your big day, so make sure every special moment is captured.
- Do a Hashtag: While a wedding photographer is a must-have, you can get some fabulous shots from your wedding guests. Encourage people to use a hashtag to post on social media. It’s a cool way to share shots and relive the moment. While the professional shots are perfect for the hanging above the mantelpiece, your guests are a prime source of hilarious videos, cute candid shots, and other things that you might have missed.
- Define Beauty: Beauty is subjective. What I think is stunning could be completely different from what you think is pretty. Communication is everything here. When you find the right wedding photographer for you, bring in some sample pics. Show shots you like and shots you don’t. Point out specific aspects that caught your eye, both in a good way and a bad way.
- Steer Clear of Trends: There are some wedding trends that I adore but, like most things, it is all about moderation. The best wedding photos are timeless. Just like old wedding pics that scream “1970s” can seem incredibly dated and downright silly now, you might regret diving into some of the overdone trends we are seeing this decade. Of course, do what you love, just don’t get too taken away with trends for the sake of being fashionable.
- Do the Engagement Session: Too many couples skip these and I think it is a mistake. Your engagement session is the time to create a connection with your photographer. There are so many stunning places to go with your wedding photographer in Ireland, so get out there! Experiment with locations, angles, and styles. It will help you get comfortable in front of the camera, and it will give you a stress-free, distraction-free photo session where you can prepare for the big day.
- Make a List of DOs and DON’Ts: Once you have your engagement session photos in hand and have had time to look through more wedding photos, plan for another chat with your wedding photograph. Give more detailed feedback. Remember, everyone is different and even the best wedding photographer in Ireland can’t read your mind. Some people love candid shots. Other people don’t like pics where they aren’t smiling. The list of preferences is endless so, remember, say something about everything that catches your eye.
- Get Natural in Front of the Camera: Now is the time to practice your modelling moves! Get comfortable just being in front of the camera. Don’t feel like you always have to be posing or staring at the camera. It might feel unnatural, but try to push yourself to just “be you” when the camera is there. You will be creating so many memories during your engagement so capture them in photos! From your engagement party to shopping for wedding apparel and flowers, it’s worth photographing. And, these are all prime times to bring out the camera and get comfortable.
Put Together Every Detail in the Ultimate Pre-Wedding Checklist
Of course, as a wedding photographer in Ireland, my main focus is on aesthetics and tracking down the most beautiful spots in the Emerald Isle, but I still know there are a lot of logistics to deal with when planning a wedding. I’ve met a lot of happy couples on the question for the coveted “Perfect Gay Wedding in Ireland” and I know it doesn’t just happen overnight. That’s why I’ve connected with some of the top wedding professionals in Ireland to create the ultimate check list.
Creating the Perfect Gay Wedding in Ireland: Your Ultimate Checklist
12) Buy the rings: As a wedding photographer, I’ve come across so many cool ring trends. Rather than just grabbing a couple of gold bands, find a style that reflects your unique couple style.
13) Book hotels: Have guests coming in from outside of Ireland? Make sure they have a place to stay.
14) Register: It is good to use at least three different retailers with some online options so that your guests can find you a lovely gift, regardless of their budget and location.
15) Prepare your wedding invites: This can include “save the date” cards, and whatever else suits your couple style.
- BOOK YOUR WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER TODAY -